The Age-Defying Smile
A recent survey conducted for the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry found that many people think a smile ages better than any other facial feature. In this post, we’ll take a closer look at the survey and provide some tips on how you can help support your smile as you age.
The Survey Results
More than 1,000 people aged 18 and over were interviewed about topics concerning aging and beauty. Some of the key findings were:
- 80% admitted that they would spend money to hide or correct aging-related flaws. The percentage of women who admitted this (84%) was higher than the men (74%).
- 62% said they would spend money to address teeth. The distant runner up was excess weight (48%).
- The 30 – 39 age group was the most likely to spend money on their looks.
In terms of most-valued facial features, a person’s smile topped the list. In fact, nearly half of the respondents (46%) said a smile can defy aging’s effects. A person’s eyes came in a distant second place with 34%.
Oral Care Routines to Maintain Your Smile
No one’s smile can stand the test of time without proper oral care. Home routines are crucial in order to maintain a bright, healthy smile. The keys to a successful home routine are:
- Brushing twice a day
- Flossing daily
- Using a fluoride mouthwash
- Rinsing with water multiple times a day
- Chewing sugar-free gum after meals
- Attending your scheduled checkups
Cosmetic Services Can Turn Back the Clock on Your Smile
No one’s home routine is 100% effective. Eating habits, injuries, accidents, and illnesses can severely alter the look and health of a smile.
If you are looking to give your teeth an aesthetic boost, our office has many cosmetic dental services to choose from. Our in-office Zoom whitening treatment can brighten your teeth by as much as 8 shades. Our Invisalign treatment can straighten teeth without resorting to braces. And our Lumineer veneers are a great solution to fix crooked or chipped teeth.
As the AACD survey shows, your smile is an especially valuable feature that can show off your health and vitality no matter your age. Contact us if you want to discuss how you can make it look and feel as healthy as possible. We will be happy to schedule a consultation with you and get the process started.